Saturday, February 5, 2011

Winding Down

It is strange to think I am almost half way done with this trip. I have officially experienced one third of my study abroad experience. It makes me a bit sad, but more excited to truly live the remaining bit. While I have not posted in awhile, it is not for my lack of activity. Rather it is the exact opposite. I have never beeonn this busy. I cannot believe it is this possible to live this much in such a short amount of time. These past two weeks have been more about learning than really doing activities. I will attempt to recap everything as best as I can remember, but it truly has been a whirlwind.

I last left you with my struggle of limits. Well two weekends ago, I have been able to push them a bit further. The entire group of 31 students, five professors, and two amazing TA's traveled to Lake Taupo. We left bright and early on a coach bus, up to our first location Mt. Ruapehu. The trip was first and foremost an educational field trip to visit several interesting geological spots for one of the biology classes. They had to have class outside, while the rest of us could explore on our own. Mt. Ruapehu is a volcano. An active one at that. This is something I can't quiet grasp. We hiked on a volcano that could erupt at any moment. It is scary, but unfathomable. The mountain is also a ski resort in the winter. Yes people ski on volcanoes. I am not sure why that is so hard to believe, but being there in the summer just made it impossible to even imagine snow covering everything and seeing an ominous top of a volcano looming over you with disastrous possibilities. Mkay, back to the point. We explored a waterfall, a snow patch, and the amazing view. It simply was too pretty of a day to even describe. Then after a few more brief scenic stops, we arrived at Lake Taupo.

Lake Taupo is the spot for the New Zealand Ironman. Sarah, mark my words, we are going to complete it. This town, lake, surrounding area is the most breathtaking place for a workout. It is could not be a better place to push yourself completely to your physical limits. That is has been put on the bucketlist with every intention of being checked off. We explored the town, ate the most amazing Italian I have had since arriving, and went dancing. Two major things to note. 1) New Zealand is similar in some aspects to America regarding. It has very little distinctly New Zealand foods. However, the food itself is so much different. Everything has a sweet undertone, even things like ketchup and tartar sauce are just naturally sweeter. Also, they don't do as much preservatives and "unnatural food". Everything is fresher. The also love cafes. Love them. I don't want to go home to Starbucks after this trip. I love the atmosphere of sitting in a cafe, drinking the most amazing cappuccino, and people watching. It is fantastic. I will miss that. I will also miss the lack of commerical chains. They have  so many more mom and pop establishments. It is refreshing to walk along a busy street and not see one fast food restaurant. That doesn't happen in America. My home town has a handful of local joints, but most our chains. Here it is the exact opposite. If I could place American boldness and spicyness in a New Zeland's resturant I would be the happiest person alive. 2) Dancing. They do not do it. They do not grind, or even dance with people. It is all american songs at bars, but no one dances. I don't think any of them have the rhythm to, but booty dancing just isnt popular. It is amazing. It makes this little no rhythm girl fit in perfectly. After eating and dancing, we went back to our lake front hotel to rest up for our big hike.



 Friday morning, we hiked the tongariro crossing. The hike is called one of the top seven day hikes in the world, and rightfully so. It is spectacular. You started by hiking through the valley of a mountain range. You were  surrounded by grasses, waterfalls, flowers. Then as you began the ascent, the landscape changed from being luscious and alive, the being  completely barren and  void of life. The ascent is covered in volcanic rock as your approach the summit. At the top of the summit is Mt. Doom from the Lord of the Rings. I wish I had seen the movies to compare for you what it was like. I sadly cannot. However, the only word to accurately describe it is ominous. It stands taller than anything around it. The red and black volcanic rock, contrast against the crisp blue skies, cue clouds racing by and you have something that could be straight out of a movie. There is a quote from Sherlock Holmes that says fantasy couldn't even come up with somethings out of reality. It fits perfectly here. No one could have dreamed this up. It is too perfect, too amazing, too beautiful. We then traveled from the volcano, through a valley. It was vast, open, and again completely void of life. We then saw a sundog, which is a circle rainbow surrounding the sun. I swear I have seen more rainbows here than anywhere else. It is a spectacular sight. It is like the sun has a beautifully crafted halo.

We again, then, began to ascend. At the top instead of another volcano was a crater. It is this amazingly vivid red creation. It is something everyone needs to see. Then turning a corner, we saw my favorite part of the whole hike. Amidst the dust, rock, and barrenness, lies these three amazingly vivid blue, turquoise, green lakes. They sparkle in the sunlight and demand to be noticed. I wanted to swim so badly in them, however the overwhelming stench of sulfur deterred my efforts. Something tells me, my fellow classmates wouldn't had been thrilled had I taken a dip. We then traveled through more amazing mountain sites, through a rainforest, past rivers, past waterfalls. I cannot believe places like this exist on earth. It is spectacular.

Though as amazing as the hike was, the things I learned along the hike were almost if not better. I learned that professors are real people. Hiking with them, let me get to know two of my professors in particular. I had difficulty breathing along one and it was comforting to have someone helping the two of us. It formed this bond that I don't have with any other professor. I also got to talk with another professor about his likes, dislikes, college experiences. These are conversations I should have with all adults, however until now, haven't. It is something I will fix when I get back to the states. I also learned that everyone is out of their social comfort zone here. It doesn't matter what brave face people are putting on, everyone misses home, and loves to talk about it. It is something I have taken time to pull out of people, in order to help me cope with what I am missing. Who knew a hike could teach you that much.


After the hike, we used Saturday as a day for relaxation and fun. Three other girls and I rented vespas and scootered around town. I haven't laughed that much in years. First, we look sexy in our helments. Two, you miss a lot of sights in a car. Third, they are scooters. How could I not have fun? We explored the town, went to waterfalls, around the lake, to gardens, to playgrounds. We were little kids. It was amazing. I wouldn't have done that with anyone else on the trip either. Those girls have made my trip so much more enjoyable. That night I hit a rough patch of missing home. It was nice to see how many people I had willing to help me through it. If I have any advice for people planning to study abroad, it would be to open up to those who surround you. It helps you get through the tough times that everyone are bound to have. You cannot possibly get the most out of your experience without people. They are what make the trip. They are what you remember the most. Yes the town, the hike was amazing. But what made it spectacular were the people that surrounded them. Those are what my memories are made of. Swinging with little girls, laughing and singing glee on a scooter, scooting down a mountain on my butt with friends, belting American songs with locals thinking we are crazy. Those are the things that stick out. Those are the things I will take back with me to the States.

On Sunday, we headed back home. Exhausted, filled with new memories, and a crazily busy school week ahead. Do I regret not doing school work on the bus? Nope not one bit.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the picture at the beginning of this post. The lighting has a cool effect on the water below.

    ReplyDelete