Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Limits

 \lim_{x \to c}f(x) = L

I will first precede this post with the fact that I am a product of an engineer and math teacher, and more than ever you can clearly tell. I am a nerd and proud of it. However back to the point, things have begun to settle in, I am beginning to take time to learn from my weekends rather than just adventure. I have had to learn a lot about limits.

I typically dislike the impositions that the word implies. However, I am beginning to see them in a new light now. Not as a glass ceiling, but rather an opportunity. A chance to push boundaries until I find the absolute limit. To find that as x, whether it be time, distance, height, amazing, perseverance, but as that variable goes to an infinite number what the true limit is. What that variable really approaches or if it has to approach anything at all. This has been my first of what I am sure to be many lessons.

Limit #1) I have found the limit of time needed to spend on homework and school. It is not zero. It is no where close to zero. You cannot forget that this is study abroad program. The study part is vital. School is just as important as the abroad part.The limit of time needed to study approaches is still roughly a few hours a day, just like at Tech. If I had taken a test before this program, I would have gotten that question so wrong.

Limit #2) The limit of rate of ascension as time approaches asthma attack decreases. Your body's ability is not unbounded. It has a limit on how much on a given day you can physically do. My guess is the limit is a lot higher than you think it is, however, it is not boundless. There is a number your body will reach. Physical limits have to exist. There are just some things that will keep you on the ground whether it is a busted eardrum, asthma, or something else trivial. You can't fight gravity. You will lose. Always.

Limit #3) The limit of missing people is not defined. There are asymptotes, peaks, and any other such mathematical/graphical figures you can throw in there. You never know when it is going to dip down or race up. It is unpredictable and you can simply not graph it. So I have stopped trying. This might be something I just simply never understand, like most of Calc II.



Limit #4)  The possibilities of this programs is infinity. I have read other people's blog about their study abroad programs. They seek new cities, they explore new countries, they experience new cultures, they have amazing stories. However, this is not what this blog and this program is about. I can assume that the essence of any study abroad program is the same, but it the limit of the end result is not the same. This program isn't about exploring cities and vastly different museums. It is about doing vastly different things. It is much more activities based, much more push myself to do new, different, and challenging things. I may go hiking every weekend. I may see a new mountain every weekend. I may explore a new place every weekend. I, however, might not get a new sense of  culture every weekend. But I have learned something new every weekend. That possibility to learn something new is endless. I am not ragging on other programs, merely I am stating why I chose mine. The limit of this program for me in unbounded. It will and has opened more doors. This is adventure is what I am meant to be seeking.

5 comments:

  1. This makes me smile. A lot.

    Also, I can't handle how cool your pictures are.

    Last note: I looked at the close up of the Canada picture of Charles: if you look closely, you can see Claire or someone in the background in the ravine. THAT is how big it actually was. Seriously, we are limitless in what we can do.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a dork! and I love you! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like #4. It's amazing how much you can live in a short amount of time. All you have to do is try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This also made me smile... and I am still smiling even reading it a second time a few days later!

    Keep on taking adventures, learning, and being the best nerd out there <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. annie,
    i enjoy your sense of hummor so much. thanks for being yet again the perfict combination of insightful, funny, positive, and adventure packed. your my favorite.

    -emily

    ReplyDelete