Saturday, February 19, 2011

Hello Goodbye


I do not even  know how to begin this post. I am feeling so many emotions it is a bit overwhelming. Leaving New Zealand, to come to Australia was a lot harder than I ever dreamed it to be. Let me begin with my last few days. The first few days were filled with a lot of schooling. Two papers, quiz, and I am sure one other assignment. Those were a lot of fun.I am not joking about the school part. I have missed papers. I have missed discussion classes. I have missed not needing my calculator for a class. History and Ethics were both taught by the most amazing professors. It was the biggest blessing I have ever had. I will never be able to thank my professors enough. I wish I could write a creative argumentative paper for Chemical Engineering. I would be thrilled. I would be able to nerd out and write. I was channeling Mr. McAlister and all his wisdom. I am glad I was able to find it somewhere.

Besides school, we also went to New Zealand parliament. It was something that I am so glad I  got to do. Sitting in on a session was the most fascinating governmental thing I have witness so far. It was during their "Question" time, where members of Parliment get to ask a question to someone else. Basically, it is a giant shouting match. People talk whenever they want, try to drown out others when they are talking, their version of the speaker of the house is just shaking is head in amusement, fingers are being flipped, the witty insults are flying everywhere. Take the fastness of pinball, but that in a boxing ring and you have Parliment. Their government works in a spectacular way. I wish I knew more about mine. I will though. I will.
I also got to go explore the bay for the first time. I lived in Wellington and never say the waterfront until the last two days. It was sad and disappointed; however, those were also the best two days. They were perfect. The sun was shining, the air was warm, the breeze was calming, and the gelato was better than all of those things combined. It was spectacular. Wellington is a city everyone should come to once. It is a huge bustling city, but it is also quaint. That is the best word to describe it. It is the largest quaint city I have ever seen. Dear Wellington, I will be back. Love Annie.

I boarded the plane for Sydney with dread. I did not want to leave New Zealand. It is spectacular. By far, my favorite place I have ever been. I was upset I didn't get to see everything. Happy I got to experience a lot. Worried about a large city. Worried the people wouldn't be as friendly. Wanting more time. Wishing I could stop time, run all over the country do what I want then board the plane. New Zealand sewn itself permanently into my heart, and well Australia you just weren't in the cards. I didn't expect to be this emotionally attached to a place. However, I find myself with an immense amount of memories, places that remind me of home, sounds and sights that constantly make me think of New Zealand. 

I unboarded, and got off the plane . We traveled to our hotel. I still wasn't thrilled. Then we went to walk around town. Touche Sydney. You have won. I will admit to having falling in love with you within about two hours of walking around. I cannot come with words to describe it yet. You have the new and the old standing right next to each other. You have a chinatown nearby. You have gardens within walking distances. A huge beautiful church a block over. Lots and lots of sushi and Mexican restaurants. You really know how to win a girl over. Walking around, finding dinner, getting lost was a perfect introduction to the city. The next best introduction was my run this morning. A group of us set off towards Hyde Park. Not quiet the London one, but you know what its just as awesome. We ran through the park, towards the Botanical Gardens, towards the Harbor. Side note, these gardens not as good as wellington. Wellington 1 Sydney 0. Anyway, we ran towards Harbor. We decided to take a side trip up to the information desk. This was best idea yet. Cheap front row tickets because I am a student. Yes please. I cannot wait. Cannot wait. Then Bondi beach. A thirty minute bus ride takes you to the most famous beach. It is spectacular. Too many people for my taste, however, it is spectacular. Tons of sand, amazing waves, lots of cute shops. It was a lot of fun. Plus, I just missed the water. It was so nice to be able to get in again. I enjoyed it so so so much. So much. I will be spending so much time there. I have four more bus passes, and I plan on using them and then more. I am so so so excited.

I reserve my right to judge Australia, however Sydney you are doing a pretty good job of convincing me I will like it here. All I am going to need here is a bathing suit, a book, and a towel and I am set. I cannot wait. Goodbye New Zealand, Hello Sydney!

No comments:

Post a Comment