Saturday, February 5, 2011

Sevens




After returning from Taupo, we had a crazily busy school week leading up to the most insane weekend of my life. On Tuesday of this past week, we explored a nature reserve. The reserve is home to birds, eels, and lizards. I finally got to see a kiwi, the nations most recognizable symbol. That bird is awkward. Lets call it like we see it. It is round, can't fly, has a huge beak, and is awkward. I can't help but laugh when ever I see one. It is an extremely silly bird.

The rest of the week was spent preparing for this past weekend. One word: sevens. For those of you who aren't familar with rugby, because really so Americans are, Sevens is a circuit of world championship rugby tournaments. One of the largest ones is played in Wellington. Teams from all of the world, come out to play 14mintue games of intense quick fast-paced rugby. Thursday begins the tournament with the parade of players. Each team comes parades through the streets, all dancing to American music. It was really fun to see all the players close up. I have learned lots of things about the people in those nations. South Africa, yep I am visiting there. Definitely. Put that one on the list. Americans are goofy as crap. French aren't very nice. They sprayed us with water. I was not too happy. New Zealand people love kiwi's. Their overwhelming sense of patriotism is spectacular. They love their country and everything about it. It was refreshing to see such a large group of care that deeply about something.

Friday, we explored Wellington and got our costumes. Yes costumes. Sevens is pretty much a huge excuse to dress up, and act ridiculous. People do huge group costumes. They go all out. It is the most impressive spectacle of ridiculousness. They take this seriously. They also do not watch the games. That is not the point of the tournament. Nope the point is to drink, and be ridiculous. It is highly entertaining to watch. There are strange but entertaining people in this world. The games, however, are the most interesting part for me. I love watching rugby. Think of linebackers with the nimbleness of running backs. They are fast, quick, and extremely impressive. The games are also fast paced, so it is something I can follow without getting bored. Emily Woods has to come back here with me so we can go to a game. She has to.

Saturday was an entirely different level of craziness than anything I have ever seen. 1) Our group went a fairies and crayons. I will let you guess if guys or girls with the fairies. 2) I have never seen so many drunk people in my life. 3) New Zealand won the tournament. I think you can put together how ridiculous our night was. It is like Mardi Gras, Halloween, and the Superbowl all in one. The streets are jammed packed. People are even more utterly ridiculous than the fairies I had accompanying me. There were marios, Katy Perrys, anything imaginable. Group costumes are huge. Everyone is in a pack of 10 or more. We saw one pac man, and thirty plus ghosts. This is an event to witness.

I cannot believe that I am 1/3 of the way done with this trip. It is weird to switch from the mindset of I have the possibility of doing everything, to I need to fit everything in. I am excited about Australia, however I am going to be extremely sad to leave this amazing country. I am coming back here. I have started a list of things I want to see again, do again, and get to do. I am coming back here to check those things off. I also want to share this with the people I love back at home. I can show you as many pictures as you want, but I don't think you can grasp it until you are here. The atmosphere, the people, the places are unique. It would be like trying to describe the color blue to someone who is blind. A near impossibility.

2 comments: