Sunday, January 16, 2011

Kayayayayayak

Thanks to my parents's love of the sea, I have grown up kayaking. Every family reunion or beach trip has been dotted with memories of riding a  huge two man kayak back onto the beach after an amazing paddle. My family affectionately calls this water sport kayayayayayaking. I imagine my dad saying that and smile. This past weekend was a weekend he would have loved. The main goal of our adventure was to sea kayak through Abel Tasman National Park on the South Island. Though that may seem like a simple goal, it will go down as one of the most amazing adventures I have had to date. I will also apologize now for the length of this blog. Ooops.

We started the journey by traveling from the North Island where Wellington is located to the tip of the South Island to Picton by way of ferry. This is when I first knew this trip was going to be different than any typical kayak trip before. My version of a ferry is a large ship with cars a few people, all outside, all uncovered that takes you to the Outer Banks. What I boarded onto could be considered a first class cruise to that image. There were lounges, bars, arcades, and a movie theater. For three hours, we had a non stop view of amazing scenery. Island after island passed by.  It was unlike anything I had ever seen. When we entered the port of Picton, we had forgot to set up a meeting location for those who had gone before us. Mistake. We eventually found them and we were on our way to a small town near Nelson. The roads were windy, the van was automatic, and it was pitch black. Needless to say, that made for many a scary moments. However, it was a fantastic ride. You could see bays light up with boats,  mountain ranges in every direction dotted with a few house lights. The scenery does not get old. I don't think it ever will.We then arrived at our hostel, a first for me. I was pleasantly surprised. Comfy bunk beds, our group had our own room, and the bathrooms were clean. What more could you asked for? I am sure my view of hostels is now completely misconstrued, but I am just going to continue thinking all hostels are like this until proven otherwise.  

The next morning we awoke, jumped in our vans, and traveled to Abel Tasman National Park. On first arriving, you saw desolate boats shored in a vast valley of sand. I was amazed at how many of these boats there were. Clearly, this part had been covered with water at one time, but now they seemed out of place and forgotten. The next few turns took us to a road that traveled parallel to the ocean. This beach was massive. The tides have such a drastic change. At low tide, the water is so far back and the sand extends for yards upon yards. At high tide, all of the scenery changes. It reminded me a bit of Daytona beach where there is so much sand people can drive on it, however it was so much more pristine. We arrived at our kayak rental place, packed our kayaks, and headed to the water. 1st observation: you need a lot of stuff to camp. With 17 people for 2.5 days, that is a lot of crap. Yet it all fits in 9 kayaks. I still don't see how we did it. We were then taken to the Daytona-esque beach and launch our kayaks.

That first day we kayaked from Marahau to Fisherman Island. We stopped ate lunch and explored the island. We then went around Adele Island and saw seals. We then went to a bay officially renamed "Boo Boo Bay". As we were exploring, three of us daring souls went swimming and all emerged with various cuts and bruises. From there we traveled to Anchorage Bay, our camping site, through the treacherous "Mad Mile". Going to the bay, you must travel around the point which is unprotected from the winds and waves. This mile was by far the hardest part of that days trip. The waves were choppy, the wind was constant, and land never seemed to get closer. However once we arrived on the island, an overwhelming feeling of satisfactions swarmed over the group. We had really accomplished something. I learned a few things from this first day. 1) As a runner you have no arm strength. Legs don't help you when you are paddling against wind. 2) I appreciate what my parents have done for me. I forget how lucky I am to be use to kayaking and use to adventuring. Each island reminded me of one vacation or another snorkeling to some island off shore.

Once arrived at camp, we unpacked, set up camp, and set out on a hike. The scenery on these day hikes are unique even to scenery on the rest of the island. Each turn brought something new and something completely different than what you were just walking through. We hiked to a freshwater pool were most of swam. Then to a cascading waterfall. The best thing about this group was their willingness to adventure and explore. We could spend hours in one place explored every nook and cranny and most people would be completely happy. We then climbed back, ate dinner, and walked along the beach to see stars and the moon. One of the simple reminders for me of home is the moon. I always remember my dad or mom calling me while they were away, and saying that we were both looking at the same moon. That has stuck with me until now. Only now, my moon is brighter. I don't know exactly what it is from but the moon is obviously brighter. One night we even managed to see what I will call a moonbow. A cloud nearby reflected the moon's light into a rainbow of colors. It was one of the most amazing sights.

We then camped, woke, packed up camp, and went back on the water. This time we traveled from Anchorage along the coast to a few smaller islands. From there we traveled past Bark Bay to a small beach. We then again went through the treacherous path to Onetahuti Bay. This was even harder than the first day. However, we all managed again to arrive safe and sound and way more exhausted from when we started. The rest of the day was spent hiking back to Bark Bay, swimming in the ocean, and exploring the campsite's natural pool. I have found there is a difference between salt and freshwater. After spending a day at sea, sitting in an ice cold freshwater waterfall was the most refreshing and cleansing thing in the world. Yes my hair was disgusting, i still hadn't really showered, and the bugs were biting me left and right, but I felt better. That's really all that counts. We packed up, hiked to Aworoa Lodge, and took a water taxi back to our starting point. We then drove back, and took the ferry home.

The trip was amazing. I loved being able to adventure and explore. Everything looked amazing. I have noticed a theme though. As much as I love the places I am in, the people are what make the trip. I loved getting to know everyone, and taking everyone out of their elements made it so much easier. From the kayak, to the hikes, to all the traveling, it was amazing seeing such a large group work together and really enjoy each others company. I now cant imagine doing this trip with any other group.

I am also amazed with what things remind me of home. I am amazing how I can be in a place that is completely unfamiliar, and yet something will immediately bring me back to sitting at the dinner table with my family.  That is the power of being abroad. You are really never that far from home.









No comments:

Post a Comment