Sunday, January 23, 2011

Black Abyss





I can remember vividly going to Camp Bonclarken and being so excited about the one caving field trip. Climbing through the woods, stumbling upon an entrance as if by chance, and getting to explore this completely underground world. It always amazing me how your eyes could adjust. This weekend was that same memory but so so so much more.

The weekend started out by driving through the small towns of New Zealand up the west coast. Their highways are generally only two lanes, and drive straight through the 2minute stretch of every town. It reminds me similar to a  main street in America, only these really are the only streets they have. No suburbs, no major cities (minus a few), just towns and small communities. It seems like a simpler way of living. My face is generally plastered to the window on every single drive we take. I cannot get enough of the rolling mountains, amazing ocean, farms, and forests. The drive is half the fun of the entire trip. Once we arrived at our hostel, we walked around the city in search of these gardens that apparently had an amazing light show. We never found them. Instead we just walked around and talked. I love getting to know these people. Our group has gotten smaller, two sub groups but 13 of us. It is easier to really get to know them like this. There is nothing like traveling to bring a group together.


The next morning we woke and prepared to go hiking. We went to Mt. Taranaki. It is the second highest peak in New Zealand. It is an active volcano and amazing. When flying over the north island, you can see the perfect ring of forest that surrounds it. To be there in person, and see everything up close made it even more amazing. Our group of 8, hiked up the scenic route. The trail was covered in dense forest, cliffs, and just amazing views. You could see as you climbed upward how the sizes of the plants diminished with less and less oxygen. These are the things I think about as an asthmatic. That as the plants get smaller it will get harder for me to breathe. It is a lovely correlation. My inhaler has become like a friend who you like to keep super close, as in my back pocket at all times. Awesome. Anyway, the trail was amazing. We reached the halfway point. The only enccourage summitting if you have more than 8 hours to spare, experience, and start early enough. We had done none of those things, and still continued to hike anyway. The first part of the summit was rock scrambling up, then over 1000ish stairs (I am not joking, think Crowders Mountain but times 100), then gravel. Lots and lots of slippery can't catch your footing, everything moves gravel. It was tougher than anything I have ever climbed before. My breathing got more more useless. However, as a daughter of two extremely tough individuals, accepting stopping wasn't going to happen. As I was climbing, I honestly had this image of my mom yelling at me during any one my cross country races. It did the trick and I was able to climb on.

Then I learned what limits are. Someone once told me that you can push as hard as you want, but there are some things you can't move. I couldn't move up that mountain anymore. Most of the group had already stopped, but I wanted so badly to be apart of the group that summitted. It seemed so close, but I had to listen to the limits my body was imposing. It was a tough lesson. No one likes to be told they can't do anything. My stubbornness makes it even harder to accept. The pictures of those who did summit are amazing. I have decided that this just means I have to come back. Easy as that. Built in assurance that I will be back to this amazing place to do all the things I have missed. Done.We then hiked back down, which is seemingly scarier than climbing out. I have learned that I don't like when things are out of my control especially when it is me who is out of control as I slide down on my butt. Afterwards, it is amazing but kinda sorta really scary when it is happening. We climbed back down and finished our amazing hike. I don't think I can stress enough how amazingly pretty it is on the mountain. You are among clouds, you can see ice patches, you can see the perfect circle surrounding the mountain. You can see everything. It is a vantage point that everyone should see at some point in their lives.

Anyway, we then traveled to Waitomo. On our way we stopped at Damper Falls, the highest waterfall in NZ. It was sunset and you had to hike through farm/grazing land to get there. It was by far the best sunset I have seen while I have been here. The picutres do not do it justice to how pink everything was and how amazing it really was. It was spectacular. The falls were also amazing. Granted it was dark, but I have a fascination with water. They are just huge falls. My only regret is that we didn't climb down to the base to see them in their entirety. It was getting dark, so we hiked back. We then finished the drive, ate the most amazing pizza, and got to our hostel. I love hostels. I love the people, the atmosphere. I think it goes back to me sharing a room with my sister, but I love just sitting up and talking to people. Hostels make that really easy.

The next day has got to be my favorite day of this whole trip. Well Abel Tasman can't be beat, but this is amazingly different. We went caving in glowworm caves. The caving adventure started with getting into wet suits. 1) Wetsuits are wet but meant to keep you warm. If you have no natural body heat they don't work. 2) Everyone looks ridiculous in them. You either look like a space cadet, or you have a huge lumpy bottom where it doesn't exactly fit. Ridiculously amazing. We then traveled to the cave, and learned how to abseil (repel). Then we entered the cave. I am a little five year old. I get so so so excited about this stuff. But how can you not? It is ridiculously awesome. Sarah and Emily would be so proud of my adventuring skills right now. Anyway, I was the first to abseil down 110feet into a dark cave. So freaking amazing. I love the falling. I wish I could skydive because I would love it. But repelling is completely acceptable form. We all entered the bottom, and the cave was enormous. These caves are lite with glowworms. Which arent worms, but larva stages or flies that attract food by basically burning their poop into green little lamps. It is biologically fascinating. I am a nerd though. We then climbed through the cave and zipped lined in the pitch black. Ziplines + no light + tons of laughter = recipe for the biggest smile possible. Amazing. Then we went black water rafting aka tubing in the river inside the cave. We got to jump off a cliff down into the water, and float amongst the worms. It was spectacular. Cold, but spectacular. Then we got to swim in the river, and hike towards the exit. These cave systems are enormous. Everything connects. It is a spectacular place to go caving. I highly highly highly suggest everyone doing something like this. I can't rave about it enough. We then climbed through two waterfalls and popped out of the cave and into daylight. It was simply amazing. Nothing can even compare to it. Nothing. I was like a kid in a candy shop wanting to see and touch everything. I will go back and do that again.

We then traveled to Rotorua. It is the north islands adventure capital, but it was raining. So instead we got to hang in the town. We went to a bar where I got to order my first legal drink. I actually like the beer here. Silly I know. Anyway, then we got to listen to a live band. This is where it is appearent how different cultures are. 1) American music with New Zealand accents is priceless. But they are obessed with our 90's music. So I am, so it is perfect. 2) They cannot dance. Natives just can't do it. It is hilarious because they all try. 3) Music brings everyone together. Our group has never had that much fun listening and singing along. I hadn't seen that many smiles the entire trip. Leave it so 90's rock bands to do that to a group. I simply loved it. We all had so much fun, then we returned slept. We awoke to more rain. Which put a damper on the whole day. So we just drove the 6hours home.

My reoccurring themes: beauty, people, and home. I cannot go on a trip without seeing something else amazing. Doing some activity in the most amazing spot. It is simply too amazing. I cannot go on a trip without getting to know the people better. Finding more about them has been the largest highlight of the trip. These people are amazing. I cannot go on a trip without being reminded of home. Whether it is a song on the radio, a hike, or something someone says, I always find my mind racing back to memories of home.

This trip still feels like a dream, but I am not going to dare wake up.

3 comments:

  1. dear annie, i can not begin to tell you how jealouse of your adventures i am. please soak it in for me. LOVE this blog!!

    -emily woods

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am living vicarously thru you, please keep writing and sharing your experience. love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you've managed to find a smaller group to travel with. It makes a world a difference. You see new things, truly get to know your companions and can really make the most of your time.

    ReplyDelete