Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Best Moments

I am doing a lot of lists recently. I just like adding numbers to things. I cannot help it I am an engineer. There are a few things I have learned/ realized in the past few days. I also have noticed a digression in these posts from things I have done to thoughts. That will just have to be put up with. And so here is my list.

1) The best way to explore a new city is to take your map and rip it up. Toss it away. Shred it. Crumble it. Go ahead relief some stress. It works wonder to set out with no direction in mind and get lost. Our first night in Brisbane started with the search for dinner. We took random turns, talked to locals, asked for directions, but most importantly we didn't have a map. It didn't matter how long it took us to get to dinner, where we ended up, we just wanted to explore. We did end up at the most fantastic dinner place. Got cheap amazing pizza. Talked to a local about his life. Found out cheap things to do in the city. We even found out about free salsa lessons being held that night. So because we got lost, we found amazing food, something fun and different to do that night, and we could get ourselves around the city. I call that a successful dinner.

2) Go for a run. Again without a map. You get exercise, you get happy endorphins, you get runners high all while seeing a new place. I figured out that I love cities a lot more if I run in them because I am happy running. I like looking around, I like exploring, I like seeing things while achieving a goal. It is all-encompassing activity. You achieve multiple goals. Multi-tasking. Love it.  Also you meet happy people running. Runners are just happy people. Take a run and you will receive more smiles then if you walk down the street. I promise.There is no way to have a bad day when you start it with a run. Yes, I also just realized how much I sound like my parents right now. It is freaky.

3) The best moments are those you wont have a camera for. They are the random afternoon walks where you happen upon a neat site, a run where you see an amazing sunset, a chat with a local at dinner. These are the moments you aren't going to whip out your camera and try to capture it. You are just going to live it. I began this trip taking so many more pictures then I do now. However, I also learned to put down the camera, walk away, and just look. Really see it. Yes a picture can say a 1000 words, but you have to remember the 1000 words that should be said. You have to remember the feelings, the sites, the memories that goes along with them. I have a really bad memory. I cannot memorize facts, names, places. Memorizing capitals was torture for me. But here it is so much easier to just live it and remember it. You aren't going to get those things through a camera. I promise.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your third point. I remember hearing about a magazine photographer who was going on a trip to some exotic place in South America and had decided not to take his camera. All his friends thought he was crazy to go somewhere so beautiful without a camera but he explained that over the years, he had gotten so caught up in capturing images he forgot to capture moments. I'm glad to see you made this same realization. You can take a picture of beauty. It's on you to remember how beauty feels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you so much annie. You sound like you have grown up so much, I am so ready for you to come home. I am at miller's with open arms, waiting!

    ReplyDelete